It’s been a surprise, as it normally is, to see how quickly 2009 went by. Just yesterday it was 2008 and there was all the bustle and excitement and disappointment of an election year. Then the holidays rolled around and here I am again at the holidays, and it feels like all I did was blink.
I have to go get my driver’s license renewed very soon here. I’m not looking forward to that. I’ve a lot of reasons for dreading it and all of ‘em are monetary in nature. Oh well, gotta do what I gotta do I guess.
I’ve spent the entirety of 2009 unemployed, living paycheck to paycheck with my unemployment benefits. That’s a blessing – it paid enough for us to survive, if not live. We’ve had some fun, but also some hard times. Right now is a hard time, and there’s no sign of it letting up. I keep hearing in the news about how things are improving in the economy and that simply doesn’t play out in my everyday life.
I had a full year and some where I could’ve been writing mostly full-time. I squandered it. At the same time, the stresses of job hunting and trying to figure out how to get by on a fraction of a regular salary hasn’t exactly been creative-juice flow medicine, you know? I can look back and regret what I didn’t do or look ahead and hope 2010 is better. I choose the latter, even though that’s not my nature. But everyday will be a little longer from here until June.
And that’s it. It’s all I’ve got right now, so I’m sorry this is so boring, but I really have nothing to add.
What about you? Plans for the holidays? Visits, visitors, staying at home?
All original content © 2009 DarcKnyt
ALL rights reserved.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Middle classes hit hard by recession (telegraph.co.uk)
- Jobseeker’s Allowance is worth less and harder to claim than ever before (leftfootforward.org)
- States’ jobless funds going ‘absolutely broke’ (msnbc.msn.com)
- Georgia to use federal loans to pay unemployment (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Jobless numbers better, but still bad (americablog.com)
- States With Jobless Rates of 8.5 Percent and Above (abcnews.go.com)
- Here’s Something Good the Senate Did Today! (dailykos.com)